Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> By chance I happened to notice in the release notes
>
> Release 7.3
> Release date: 2002-11-27
>
> Man, it feels like a long time since that came out...
>
> There has been some discussion of making a project policy of dropping
> support for old releases after five years.  Should we consider formally
> instituting that?
>
> I see that there are two or three minor bug fixes in the REL7_3_STABLE
> branch since 7.3.20.  Rather than just leaving those to rot, maybe the
> actual policy should be "only one more update after 8.3 comes out".
>
> Comments, opinions?

At some point back, I seem to recall the reason for bothering to
backpatch to 7.3 is that it had to be maintained for RedHat anyway, so
things might as well be backpatched? If that requirements is gone, I
think it's time to drop it.

And +1 on pushing out one final "end of the tree" release since there's
stuff there.

//Magnus