Re: Quality and Performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Quality and Performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 10:08 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > Maybe we should give each Beta a name, such as "Initial Beta",
> > "Performance Beta", "Usability Beta" as a way of encouraging folk to
> > focus onto particular aspects of quality at what we consider to be
> > appropriate times to do so. Not sure whether thats a good idea, but
> > I'd love to hear about ways to include performance as one of the
> > essential behaviours of PostgreSQL.
> >
> > Your thoughts are welcome,
>
> Well I think that we do take performance into account. I agree
> that we should *never* have a regression in performance from release
> to release, which is what I believe has inspired this thread.
>
> However if you look at a lot of the items that have gone into this
> release they were all about performance:

Agreed. I either initiated or assisted with most of those items; but
that's not really my point, however because those were planned
performance "features".

My thinking was about how we handle the last minute attention to detail
that ensures we have performance everywhere, not just on the main
features.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com