Re: Read-only availability of a standby server? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Read-only availability of a standby server?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 09:14 +0100, Ottavio Campana wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner ha scritto:
> > Garber, Mikhail wrote:
> >> In the high-availabilty situation with a warm standby, is it possible (or planned) to be able to make standby
readable?
> >> This is a new feature in Oracle 11 and it is very important for a project I am working on.
> >
> > yeah there are plans to support this in 8.4 (and some basic groundwork
> > already happened in 8.3) ...
>
> cool! do you have some links to pages?

This has been discussed on -hackers over the summer.

Florian Pflug has worked on a patch for this sponsored by Google Summer
of Code, mentored by myself. I hope to begin a more detailed review when
the development phase of 8.4 opens. Florian's work has been to examine
all of the issues and write preliminary code. That looks very good and
is of strong credit to him.

Having said that, the first code is not usually the last code on such a
project and I foresee much work ahead. It's not yet certain that we will
be able to make this work with both full query performance and low
overhead replication, at least in the first release.

So, its something we expect to work on actively in 2008, but won't be
available for use for roughly another year yet.

There is some overlap in functionality between this and Slony, though
there is no intention to replace all of the features of Slony. slony is
available now.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com