Re: backup_label and server start - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: backup_label and server start
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 15:19 +0100, Albe Laurenz wrote:

> "We will fail to restore a consistent database state"
> sounds rather intimidating.

Well, how else should a warning of data loss sound? :-)

It's vaguely possible that the database state could be consistent, if
the server were quiet when you stopped it. But that is unlikely *and*
there is no way of knowing for certain, that is why we introduced
pg_stop_backup() in the first place.

> *If* - on the other hand - it is safe to follow the hint
> and remove the backup_label, wouldn't it be a good thing
> for the startup process to ignore (and rename) the backup_label
> file if no recovery.conf is present?

The hint is telling you how to restart the original server, not a crafty
way of cheating the process to allow you to use it for backup.

What are you trying to do?

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com