Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig White
Subject Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 23:55 -0500, Mark Niedzielski wrote:
> Our developers run on MacBook Pros w/ 2G memory and our production
> hardware is dual dual-Core Opterons w/ 8G memory running CentOS 5.  The
> Macs perform common and complex Postgres operations in about half the
> time of our unloaded production hardware.  We've compared configurations
> and the production hardware is running a much bigger configuration and
> faster disk.
>
> What are we missing?  Is there a trick to making AMDs perform?  Does
> Linux suck compared to BSD?
----
that was an awful lot of discussion without any empirical evidence to
support the original claim.

my understanding was that the lack of threading on OSX made it
especially poor for a DB server (but if I recall correctly, that
information was on MySQL).

Do I smell a plant?

Craig