Re: New tzdata available - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: New tzdata available
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 05:46:08PM -0800, Trevor Talbot wrote:
> >> I've been wondering lately why it isn't just stored in the database somewhere.
>
> > That's a different question. One reason is that we wanted files compatible
> > with the stuff that was included in the zic library.
>
> I think the one lesson we have entirely absorbed is that we don't want
> to be in-the-loop for timezone updates.  I don't see how keeping the
> info "inside" the DB would help that.

Yeah.

> Plan B would be to take out contracts on all the banana-republic
> politicians who think that changing DST laws with a month's notice
> is a pleasant pastime.  I fear we lack the resources for that,
> unfortunately.

You're referring to countries like the United States and New Zealand ;-)

On a more serious note, we *could* make a simple ZIP file available with
files to drop in the timezone directory for such urgent updates, since
the majority of users don't need them. But then still update to the
latest TZ data whenever we release, and possibly still do TZ-related
releases for cases when it's a large country (like the US...) that make
the change...

Seems reasonable?

//Magnus