Re: PITR Recovery and out-of-sync indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: PITR Recovery and out-of-sync indexes
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 09:21 -0600, Brian Wipf wrote:
> On 4-Oct-07, at 8:14 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > The First Commandment is Make Thy Servers Identical, which applies to
> > OS, OS version, disk layouts/config as well as basic hardware. If
> > they're not then you're going to get some strange results.
>
> Other than the corrupt indexes on varchar columns, there appear to be
> no problems. The UTF-8 data in our case is all okay. Once we use
> compatible locales even the indexes will be okay. Although identical
> servers guarantees no issues with PITR, testing may show non-
> identical servers may work okay too. In our case, an Intel Xserve
> running Mac OS X being the backup to an openSUSE Linux box.
>
> The Apple Xserve is easy to maintain and rock solid reliable. If it
> had better performance to its Fibre Channel RAID array, it would be a
> better main server too. The Linux box is a better performer, but in
> our experience at least, more difficult to maintain when things go
> wrong.

It is a small gain for much risk. If you have weird problems, remember
that you are doing something we (or at least I) said not to... even if
it works for you it may not do for someone else that tries.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com