Re: It's time to support GRANT SELECT,UPDATE,...,...,... ON database.* to username - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dterrors@hotmail.com
Subject Re: It's time to support GRANT SELECT,UPDATE,...,...,... ON database.* to username
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 2, 12:06 pm, Chris Browne <cbbro...@acm.org> wrote:
> The trouble is that "GRANT ON *.*" seems to be a lazy shortcut for
> someone who *thinks* they're trying to secure their system, but that
> would rather say "well, everything" as opposed to looking at things
> properly.
>
> That is, if you don't know what tables and other objects need to be
> secured, how can you have any idea that you're handling the securing
> of your application properly???

I wonder if you would've given the same response 40 years ago when
someone invented "chmod <perms> *"

"If you don't know what files and other objects need to be secured,
how can you have any idea that you're handling the securing of your
file system properly???"

What if I DO know what tables I have, and I DO want them to all have
the same perms?