Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Streaming Onlinebackup (Maybe OFFTOPIC) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Streaming Onlinebackup (Maybe OFFTOPIC)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 12:53 +0200, apoc9009 wrote:
> > You've either not read 23.4.4 or haven't understood it. If the text is
> > unclear, documentation additions/changes are always welcome.
> I have read this:
>
> PostgreSQL directly supports file-based log shipping as described above.
> It is also possible to implement record-based log shipping, though this
> requires custom development.

We may expect that feature in later releases, but definitely not in 8.3

> I wish to have an Solution, thadt backup my Database DB wihout
> Datalosses,  without locking Tables, without Shutdown
> and without any User must be forced for logging out (Backup in
> Production State Online without Datalosses).

I'm not clear whether you are looking for Backup, or High Availability
Replication.

There is no data loss with the online backup technique described in the
manual.

If you require HA replication with zero data-loss then you are currently
restricted to non-database techniques, which you already mentioned, so
you have your answer already.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com