Re: PQping command line tool - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PQping command line tool
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Phil Sorber <phil@omniti.com> writes:
> How about adding it as an option to psql? That's not to say that I
> think we shouldn't also add it to 'pg_ctl status'.

> I was looking at the code and originally I was using return code to
> signify what the status was and some text output when quiet wasn't
> set, but psql has it's own set of established return codes. How does
> everyone feel about using different return codes when psql is in the
> PQping mode?

Personally, I think adding this to psql has nothing to recommend it:
it would be shoehorning an unrelated behavior in among what are already
too many constraints.

If we're going to do it at all, it should be a stand-alone tool.
If it's not worth that much work, it's not worth doing.