Re: clog_buffers to 64 in 8.3? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: clog_buffers to 64 in 8.3?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> In any case this is getting pretty darn far away from a one-liner patch.
> I think it needs more thought and more testing than we can spare now.

Agreed.

We're much further behind with this release than ever before, so we need
to put the cut somewhere.

Once the major features are in, we do need a period of secondary/final
tuning. For the *next* release, I would like to plan for a Tuning Month
somewhere in the release process. That would allow some formal way of
handling this kind of thing, 'cos we seem to hit the "its too late for
this kind of change" fairly regularly. Also, the more we tune, the more
performance regressions occur, so we'll need to start formally checking
for those too.

--  Simon Riggs EnterpriseDB  http://www.enterprisedb.com