Re: tsearch2: language or encoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: tsearch2: language or encoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 15:43 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> I'm wondering if a tsearch's configuration is bound to a language or
> an encoding. If it's bound to a language, there's a serious design
> problem, I would think. An encoding or charset is not necessarily
> bound to single language. We can find such that example everywhere(I'm
> not talking about Unicode here). LATIN1 inclues English and several
> european languages. EUC-JP includes English and Japanese etc. And
> we specify encoding for char's property, not language, I would say the
> configuration should be bound to an encoding.

Perhaps the encoding could suggest a default language, but I see no
direct connection in many cases between language and encoding,
especially for European languages and encodings.

--  Simon Riggs EnterpriseDB  http://www.enterprisedb.com