Re: manually setting the command tag (was Re: 8.4: suppress_redundant_updates trigger vs. "Upsert" logic) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: manually setting the command tag (was Re: 8.4: suppress_redundant_updates trigger vs. "Upsert" logic)
Date
In response to Re: manually setting the command tag (was Re: 8.4: suppress_redundant_updates trigger vs. "Upsert" logic)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: manually setting the command tag (was Re: 8.4: suppress_redundant_updates trigger vs. "Upsert" logic)
List pgsql-hackers
> Pavel Stehule escribi�:
>> Isn't better to solve the the correct diagnostics for INSTEAD rules or triggers?

> As far as I can tell it's not possible to do better without letting the
> user put their hands on the tag.

And how is the user going to do better?  For example, what if there are
two triggers trying to set the result, perhaps because two different
commands have been generated by DO ALSO rules?

I don't think that "put it on the user's shoulders" is a good solution.