Re: postgresql 8.1.4 to 8.2.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sven Willenberger
Subject Re: postgresql 8.1.4 to 8.2.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 22:01 +0200, Anton Melser wrote:
> On 14/04/07, Alain Roger <raf.news@gmail.com> wrote:
> > After clicking on your link i got "invalid project" page :-(
> > and the whole page is empty...
>
> Ouch Alain...
> Try
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pg-migrator/
> :-)
> But ask a single postgres oldskool cat (which I am patently not!) and
> you will get exactly the same answer "Do you value your data?". This
> is for people who want to tinker, or who simply can't dump/reload.
> Until it gets included in postgres core of course!

> > > Actually, this isn't strictly true:
> > http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pg-
> > > migrator/

So from the docs of pg-migrator:
"PostgreSQL version 8.2 changes the layout for values of type INET and
CIDR" - thus any tables with columns of those data types would have to
be dump/restored.

My questions would be a) are there any other data types that have had
changes made to their on-disk representation? and b) have there been any
changes made to the table infrastucture layout from 8.1.x to 8.2 (that
would cause pg-migrator not to work) ?

Sven