Re: Vacuum full is slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Vacuum full is slow
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 06:02, Ruben Rubio wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Vacuum full is very slow for me . I dont know how to speed it up. It
> takes between 60 and 90 minutes.
>
> I have set up autovacuum but I also run vacuum full once per week.

Note two things.

1:  you need to update your pgsql version.  8.1.3 is a bit old.

2:  You shouldn't normally need to run vacuum full.  Vacuum full is
there to get you out of problems created when regular vacuum falls
behind.  It contributes to index bloat as well.  If routine vacuuming
isn't working, regular vacuum full is not the answer (well, 99% of the
time it's not).  Fixing routing vacuuming is the answer.

If you don't have an actual problem with routine vacuuming, you would be
better off writing a monitoring script to keep track of bloat in tables
and send you an email than running vacuum full all the time.