Re: better performance on poorer machine? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vegard Bønes
Subject Re: better performance on poorer machine?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi, all.

I found the problem - it was merely a poorly written query, which for some reason was less terrible on my laptop.
Lookingat http://explain.depesz.com/ helped me solve the issue. Performance is now back to normal.

It seems this was a classic case of pebcak. Thank you for your help and time!

VG

----- Original Message -----
Fra: "Alban Hertroys" <haramrae@gmail.com>
Til: "Vegard Bønes" <vegard.bones@met.no>
Kopi: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Sendt: 13. mai 2014 17:49:28
Emne: Re: [GENERAL] better performance on poorer machine?

On 13 May 2014 16:48, Vegard Bønes <vegard.bones@met.no> wrote:
> I have a database on a test server with queries that perform terribly. Trying to fix this problem, I copied the
database(using pg_dump) to my laptop, and reran tests there. The same queries perform perfectly on my laptop.

We can but guess, but... Quite possibly your laptop is not actually a
poorer machine for single uncomplicated queries. If it's cores are
faster than the test servers, than your laptop would out-perform the
server for such queries.

Once you get other users starting to run queries as well, turning the
load into a parallel load, the server will probably turn out faster
again.