Service startup - troubleshooting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike
Subject Service startup - troubleshooting
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I know this is probably a borderline Linux question but I think
someone with PostgreSQL expertise will better be able to answer it (I
already struck out on the Linux side and after much searching on the
Web).

I installed Postgres 8.1 on Ubuntu 6.10 using Synaptic. Postgres is
listed under System|Administration|Services in the UI, and there's an
init script (which references /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-
functions) in the appropriate run level directory. However, Postgres
still won't run at startup.

I've searched various log files for any messages from Postgres but
found none. My guess would be that this is a permission-related
problem, but I don't know for sure.

Can anyone share ideas on how to troubleshoot the (non-) starting of
Postgres at boot time and how to resolve this problem?

Thank you!