Re: pg_standby - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Doug Knight
Subject Re: pg_standby
Date
List pgsql-patches
Not at all, in fact I was planning on using the infinite wait, and using something like heartbeat to force creation of the trigger file in the event the primary dies. Thanks Simon!

Doug

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 14:38 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 15:14 -0500, Doug Knight wrote:

> Quick question on the -w option; setting it to zero "disables", do you
> mean it waits until the file appears or a trigger file appears, or it
> just doesn't wait at all?

It means it waits forever, or until a trigger file appears - but a
trigger file is optional, so its possible to create an awkward
situation. I'm not happy with that default, but feedback from Merlin
suggested production problems with people not understanding that.

I'm happy to change to whatever consensus is, so if you think that's
dumb, just shout.