Re: PG8.2.1 choosing slow seqscan over idx scan - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeremy Haile
Subject Re: PG8.2.1 choosing slow seqscan over idx scan
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanks Tom!  Reducing random_page_cost to 2 did the trick for this
query.  It now favors the index scan.

Even if this is a cached situation, I wouldn't expect a difference of 3
min vs 3 seconds.

Even if unrelated, do you think disk fragmentation would have negative
effects?  Is it worth trying to defragment the drive on a regular basis
in Windows?

Jeremy Haile