Re: TODO items for removal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: TODO items for removal
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 22:24 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> This item was rejected by Tom, since a workaround exists
>
> Add estimated_count(*) to return an estimate of COUNT(*)
> This would use the planner ANALYZE statistics to return an estimated
> count. http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-11/msg00943.php

ISTM Tom didn't reject the TODO item (or the basic feature idea it
describes), he just objected to the syntax -- which I can understand,
count(*) is not syntax we want to be copying. AFAIK no one has actually
implemented the UDF he describes, though, so there should still be a
TODO item.

-Neil