Re: PostgreSQL to host e-mail? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: PostgreSQL to host e-mail?
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 15:00 -0300, Charles A. Landemaine wrote:
> I'm building an e-mail service that has two requirements: It should
> index messages on the fly to have lightening search results, and it
> should be able to handle large amounts of space. The server is going
> to be dedicated only for e-mail with 250GB of storage in Raid-5.

Well Raid 5 is likely a mistake. Consider RAID 10.

>  I'd
> like to know how PostgreSQL could handle such a large amount of data.

250GB is not really that much data for PostgreSQL I have customers with
much larger data sets.

> How much RAM would I need?

Lots... which is about all I can tell you without more information. How
many customers? Are you using table partitioning? How will you be
searching? Full text or regex?

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/