Re: MySQL drops support for most distributions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: MySQL drops support for most distributions
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 13:37 -0500, Bill Moran wrote:

> > > The good thing is that there are several companies supporting
> > > Postgres,
> > > so whatever one of them does it does not affect the market as a whole.
> >
> > Surely there are also third-party companies that provide "support"
> > for MySqueal in some similar sense?
>
> Couple of years ago when I was part owner of a company, we tried to
> become an "official" MySQL support provider.
>
> Now, this is a three man operation, we had about 10 clients and were
> looking to expand into the MySQL space.
>
> We found the money MySQL wanted to become "official" to be excessive.
> Additionally, for that money, we didn't get promised anything -- we
> couldn't even get an estimate of how many potential clients there
> would be in our area.  After much discussion with the MySQL people,
> we finally decided it was too much money to take the risk.
>
> I wonder how many other potential support companies felt the same
> way?  Perhaps that was a bad business decision on our part, but we'll
> never know now -- we shut the company down a year ago.

What you describe above is a very similar thing that brought CMD (as its
current incarnation) into being.

We tried to get tier 4 support from a little known company called Great
Bridge years ago....

The basic idea was that we would call them maybe 4 times a year but
wanted to work with them because they had the "name" for PostgreSQL.

They wanted 16k a year.

Now they are dust, and CMD is what it is today ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/