Re: "column i.indnkeyatts does not exist" in pg_upgrade from 11dev to 11b1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "column i.indnkeyatts does not exist" in pg_upgrade from 11dev to 11b1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> I've used pg_upgrade like this before, but maybe from a different (recent)
> 11dev HEAD; I found: "pg_upgrade supports upgrades from 8.4.X and later to the
> current major release of PostgreSQL, including snapshot and beta releases."
> (But maybe upgrades FROM beta releases aren't supported in the general case?)

Yeah, that :-(.  pg_dump's approach to cross-version catalog differences
can only cope with differences between major versions.  So if it sees
a server that calls itself 11-something it's going to think that means
the current catalog layout.  There's no good way to deal with pre-beta
snapshot versions, other than to dump with a pg_dump of the same vintage.