Re: IS it a good practice to use SERIAL as Primary Key? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: IS it a good practice to use SERIAL as Primary Key?
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 13:38 -0700, Scott Ribe wrote:
> > primary key (first_name,last_name,address_id)
> >
> > One will enable you to have a distinct Joshua Drake, one in portland
> > oregon and one in portland maine.
>
> What happens when you move? Do we treat you as a different person? Or do we
> pretend that you've always lived in the same place?

You would update the address, the address id wouldn't change. If you
want to keep track of old addresses you would keep an archive table
associated with the user.id.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/