Re: Easy read-heavy benchmark kicking around? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Easy read-heavy benchmark kicking around?
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 15:09, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Brian Hurt <bhurt@janestcapital.com> wrote:
> > I'm having a spot of problem with out storage device vendor.  Read
> > performance (as measured by both bonnie++ and hdparm -t) is abysmal
> > (~14Mbyte/sec), and we're trying to get them to fix it.  Unfortunately,
> > they're using the fact that bonnie++ is an open source benchmark to
> > weasle out of doing anything- they can't fix it unless I can show an
> > impact in Postgresql.
> >
> > So the question is: is there an easy to install and run, read-heavy
> > benchmark out there that I can wave at them to get them to fix the
> > problem?  I have a second database running on a single SATA drive, so I
> > can use that as a comparison point- "look, we're getting 1/3rd the read
> > speed of a single SATA drive- this sucks!"
>
> hitachi?
>
> my experience with storage vendors is when they say things like that
> they know full well their device completely sucks and are just
> stalling so that you give up.

Man, if I were the OP I'd be naming names, and letting the idiots at
INSERT MAJOR VENDOR HERE know that I was naming names to the whole of
the postgresql community and open source as well to make the point that
if they look down on open source so much, then open source should look
down on them.

PostgreSQL is open source software, BSD and Linux are open source / free
software.  bonnie++'s licensing shouldn't matter one nit, and I'd let
everyone know how shittily I was being treated by this vendor until
their fixed their crap or took it back.

Note that if you're using fibre channel etc... the problem might well be
in your own hardware / device drivers.  There are a lot of real crap FC
and relative cards out there.