Re: pgstat documentation tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgstat documentation tables
Date
Re: pgstat documentation tables  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> How do people feel about pulling text out of the SGML docs and loading
> it into the database as table and column comments?

I'm not thrilled by that proposal.  The length limits on comments are
very much shorter than what is sensible to use in catalogs.sgml (at
least if you want the comments to look passable in \d displays).  And
I don't want people trying to serve two different use-cases when they
write those.

Perhaps it'd work to pull column comments from the C header files
--- any same-line comment in catalog/pg_*.h is probably short enough to
serve this purpose usefully.