Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com writes:
> My basic question to the community is "is PostgreSQL approximately as fast
> as Oracle?"

The anecdotal evidence I've seen leaves me with the impression that when
you first take an Oracle-based app and drop it into Postgres, it won't
perform particularly well, but with tuning and tweaking you can roughly
equal and often exceed the original performance.  The two DBs are enough
unalike that a database schema that's been tuned for Oracle is probably
mistuned for Postgres.  You will certainly find "some things are faster,
some are slower" at the end of the day, but we've had lots of satisfied
switchers ...

            regards, tom lane