Re: Postgre SQL 7.1 cygwin performance issue. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Postgre SQL 7.1 cygwin performance issue.
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 09:00, Ravindran G - TLS, Chennai. wrote:
> Thanks Alvaro.
>
> We are using PostgreSQL 7.1 cygwin installed on Windows 2000.
>
> We understand that the maximum connections that can be set is 64 in
> Postgresql 7.1 version.
>
> But our application is installed in 8 / 10 PC or more than that and it opens
> multiple connections and it exceeds 64.
>
> Because of this the subsequent connections are failed to connect with DB
> from application.
>
> Please advise us on how to resolve this ?.

As someone else mentioned, pg_pool might help here.  But you're kind of
fighting an uphill battle here.  I'm guessing that your effort will be
better spent on upgrading your db server than on trying to patch up the
system you have.

Is there any chance of changing your client app so it doesn't open so
many connections?  That would seem the easiest fix of all, if you have
access to that code.