Re: Optimal Postgres Development Process, Software - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Glenn Davy
Subject Re: Optimal Postgres Development Process, Software
List pgsql-novice
Actually appologies - I forgot in my excitment that you need windows
clients. doh. too bad I'm apt-get installing into ubuntu as we speak.
sorry again
On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 23:41 +1000, Glenn Davy wrote:
> hey roger - again something else I haven't played with, but given your
> access and doutless vba background, this might be right up your alley
>
> http://gambas.sourceforge.net/
>

> On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 03:01 -0500, Roger Rasmussen wrote:
> > operationsengineer wrote:
> > > i think converting Access to a front end for PGSQL is
> > > a great idea - then you can focus your energy learning
> > > to administer PGSQL and spend some down time reading
> > > up on and evaluating languages.
> >
> > I think a variation on this theme will work well. I will start coding the backend of a small database (e.g.
stockroom)with postgres, to learn how it works. At the moment I am a bit scared at the magnitude of the task, so a
smalldatabase will give me opportunity to experiment with types etc. As I have questions, I will ask here.

> > I will then experiment with various front ends. One of which will be dabo, as Glenn suggests. Meanwhile maybe
someonehere will offer up a holy grail I hadn't thought of.

> > If nothing else is suitable, I will continue with access - either 97 or 2003. I do like the pivot table/chart
featurethat it has, that functionality would be excellent for dabo to emulate.

> > Thanks for all the help, and if anyone has more thoughts on this topic I am all ears. I think I will formulate some
questionsas to the first part of my project in another email.