Re: NUMERIC key word - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: NUMERIC key word
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>> The reason it was kept was to override the search path --- unqualified
>> NUMERIC will always be taken as pg_catalog.numeric even if you have some
>> other type "numeric" in front of it.

> It should be possible to implement this behavior without requiring
> NUMERIC to be a keyword, though.

Perhaps we could find some other, even uglier kludge ... I doubt it
would be an improvement.  Is there any particular reason NUMERIC
*shouldn't* be a keyword?  It's called out as a <reserved word> by
the spec, after all.  (In fact, I seem to recall that it was exactly
that point that made us decide that the implicit conversion to
pg_catalog.numeric was appropriate.)

            regards, tom lane