Re: [GENERAL] Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Here is a possible patch.  Example output:

> $ pg-install/bin/postgres -D pg-install/var/data
> FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
> DETAIL:  The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 1090715648 (0x41030000), but the server was
compiledwith PG_CONTROL_VERSION 833 (0x00000341).
> HINT:  This could be a mismatched byte order.  It looks like you need to initdb.

> I didn't follow how the user got into this mess, so I don't know whether the
> suggestion "you need to initdb" is appropriate.

I think it still is, at least as much as it is in other situations where
we say that.  I didn't like the wording of the other part of the hint
though.  Maybe "This could be a problem of mismatched byte ordering"?

Other than that quibble, +1.

            regards, tom lane