Re: Notes on converting from MySQL 5.0.x to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Notes on converting from MySQL 5.0.x to PostgreSQL
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 10:45, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 7/10/2006 10:00 PM, Alex Turner wrote:
>
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/replication-row-based.html
> >
> > 5.1
>
> Ah, thanks. So I guess 5.1.5 and 5.1.8 must be considered major feature
> minor/bugfix releases. I still don't understand how people can use
> software in production that has literally zero bugfix upgrade path
> without the risk of incompatibility due to new features. I consider
> every IT manager, who makes that choice, simply overpaid.

Dear god!  That page made my eyes bleed.

Individual users can choose the method of replication for their
sessions?

There's a mixed method that switches back and forth?

"In addition to switching the logging format manually, a slave server
may switch the format automatically."

I'm pretty sure this kind of thing would never get into PostgreSQL.
It's like reading a map of a minefield drawn in crayon.