Re: RES: RES: Initial database loading and IDE x SCSI - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Lewis
Subject Re: RES: RES: Initial database loading and IDE x SCSI
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 17:37 -0300, carlosreimer@terra.com.br wrote:
> Many thanks Mark,
>
> I will consider fsync=off only to do an initial load, not for a database normal operation.

This approach works well.  You just need to remember to shut down the
database and start it back up again with fsync enabled for it to be safe
after the initial load.

> I was just thinking about this hipotetical scenario:
> a) a restore database operation
> b) fsync off
> c) write-back on (IDE)
>
> As I could understand, in this sceneraio, it´s normal the IDE drive be faster than the SCSI, ok?

If fsync is off, then the IDE drive loses its big advantage, so IDE and
SCSI should be about the same speed.

> Of course, the database is exposed because of the fsync=off, but if you consider only the system performance, then it
istrue. Isn´t it?