Re: Compile on x86_64 - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Raymond Auge
Subject Re: Compile on x86_64
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 18:20 +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 10:39 -0400, Raymond Auge wrote:
> > I was under the assumption that an FC4 rpm should build using the
> > standard FC4 wx packages. Is this wrong? I have every wx package
> > installed.
>
> That is wrong. We use Wx from source installation.

Hmm, then there is really no point in building an FC4 rpm at all... One
should just build from source. This really goes against the theory of
rpm packaging...

Not a problem. I'll do that. Pity!

As for whether I WANT an x86_64 build or not is irrelevant. If all the
distribution's libraries are compiled x86_64 then that is the arch I
must target, otherwise why use it at all...

I know the pain I must go through to run ix86 applications concurrently
with x86_64, and I don't much enjoy it. I'd rather stick with either one
or the other.

It's simply a matter of principle, and would be no different if I were
using ppc instead (which I do and must compile pgAdminIII there as
well). If there is a src rpm to simplify the move from one platform to
another, then hooray. Otherwise there is always source.

I'm not complaining, I'm just clarifying my situation and my natural
assumptions.

Ray

--
Raymond Augé