Re: Confirming the autovacuum daemon is running - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Re: Confirming the autovacuum daemon is running
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/08/2006 06:06:25 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Karl O. Pinc" <kop@meme.com> writes:
> > What is the proper way to confirm that the autovacuum daemon
> > is running?
>
> The autovac process doesn't run continuously, so you wouldn't
> necessarily see it in ps.

Thanks.

I suppose then if I really wanted to I could look at frozen
transaction ids or something.

Considering how important vacuuming is, it might be nice to
have an entry in the postmaster startup log or something
that confirms vacuuming is actually happening.   Better yet
something that says that it is _not_ turned
on, because if it is turned on and things go bad
I presume that then they'll be an indication in the
logs.  Done that way, when there are vacuum problems,
regardless of why, there'll always be something in
the log.

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein