Re: Huge Data sets, simple queries - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeffrey W. Baker
Subject Re: Huge Data sets, simple queries
Date
Re: Huge Data sets, simple queries
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 09:00 -0800, Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Jim,
>
> On 1/30/06 12:25 PM, "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
>
> > Why divide by 2? A good raid controller should be able to send read
> > requests to both drives out of the mirrored set to fully utilize the
> > bandwidth. Of course, that probably won't come into play unless the OS
> > decides that it's going to read-ahead fairly large chunks of the table
> > at a time...
>
> I've not seen one that does, nor would it work in the general case IMO.  In
> RAID1 writes are duplicated and reads come from one of the copies.  You
> could alternate read service requests to minimize rotational latency, but
> you can't improve bandwidth.

Then you've not seen Linux.  Linux does balanced reads on software
mirrors.  I'm not sure why you think this can't improve bandwidth.  It
does improve streaming bandwidth as long as the platter STR is more than
the bus STR.

-jwb