[Fwd: autovacuum] - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Enzo Daddario
Subject [Fwd: autovacuum]
List pgsql-admin
Sorry I accidentally pressed 'Send'...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Enzo Daddario <enzo@pienetworks.com>
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: autovacuum
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:07:21 +0800
Hi All,

I am concerned with the impact autovacuum of table(s) would have on
regular DB activity.

With our current DB's the majority of tables have either a low number of
updates or a large number of inserts (which I believe should not be a
problem), however, a small number of tables have an extremely high
number of updates (up to 150 000) per day.

I currently target these high update tables(with vacuumdb via cron) during quieter periods
much more frequently than any other tables in the DB's.

I would like to use autovacuum but would also like it to cause little/no impact on DB performance.

Any experiences/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Enzo