Re: Using results from INSERT ... RETURNING - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Using results from INSERT ... RETURNING
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> BTW what was the conclusion of the idea about having three separate
>> nodes Insert, Delete, Update instead of a single Dml node?

> It wasn't obvious from reading the patch why multiple node types would
> be superior; but I'm not 100% sure I understand what Tom had in mind,
> either.

I thought they would be simpler/faster individually.  However, that
might not be enough to outweigh 3x repetition of the per-node-type
boilerplate.  I haven't read the patch yet so this isn't an informed
recommendation, just a suggestion of an alternative to consider.