Re: patch to create system view that lists cursors - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: patch to create system view that lists cursors
List pgsql-patches
On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 17:57 -0500, Neil Conway wrote:
> I think the view should include the portals created by DECLARE CURSOR
> and "Bind" protocol messages, but should not include the unnamed portal
> or any other portals that are created internally as part of the
> implementation of other commands (e.g. EXECUTE). I'm not sure how to
> handle SPI: developers using SPI would expect to find their portals in
> the view, but those using SPI indirectly (e.g. via PL/foo) would
> probably find the clutter surprising. I'd say we need to include SPI
> portals in the view as well.

Attached is a revised version of Joachim's patch that implements this.
Cursors created via SPI are part of the view, which produces somewhat
unexpected results when querying the view from a procedural language as
noted above, but I suppose it's the best compromise.

The documentation still needs some work. Barring any objections, I'll
fix that and a few other minor issues and then apply the patch tomorrow.

-Neil

Attachment