Re: BUG #2000: psql does not prompt for password - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Duncan Goodwin
Subject Re: BUG #2000: psql does not prompt for password
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I just installed the 8.1.1 release on Windows XP Pro and encountered a
very strange problem that seems to be related to your problem.  My
pg_hba.conf is the default out-of-the-box config (i.e local IPv4
connections are configured as: host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5).  I tried
running psql from different shells, cmd.exe and 4NT, as well as using
the shortcut to cmd.exe installed by the PostgreSQL installer.  In some
cases I was prompted for a password, but in other cases, psql would not
prompt me, even if I tried to force it with -W.
After several hours of testing different login users and pg_hba.conf
entries I stumbled upon this discovery: the shell doesn't matter, your
current directory does (see the transcript below).  If you are
currently in a directory on a local hard drive such as C:,
authentication always fails, but if you are currently on a network
drive, in my case H:, password prompting always occurs as documented.
Prompting also occurs correctly if the drive is local but you are
mounting it as if it were a network drive (for reasons I won't go into,
my D: and E: drives are "network" mounts of subdirectories on C:).
Here is a sample session in cmd.exe:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

H:\>c:

C:\>psql
psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "dhg0417"

C:\>psql -W
psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "dhg0417"

C:\>h:

H:\>psql
Password:

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

Warning: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page (1252)
         8-bit characters may not work correctly. See psql reference
         page "Notes for Windows users" for details.

dhg0417=> \q

H:\>d:

D:\>psql
Password:

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

Warning: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page (1252)
         8-bit characters may not work correctly. See psql reference
         page "Notes for Windows users" for details.

dhg0417=>

My guess is that psql treats requests while logged in to a network
drive as "network" connections, while requests from the C: drive seem
to be treated as "local" connections.  Should I submit this as a bug or
is this known behaviour?