Re: Single-Transaction Utility options - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Single-Transaction Utility options
List pgsql-patches
On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 21:51 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > I believe Peter's question was rhetorical: what he meant to point out
> > is that the documentation needs to explain what is the reason for
> > having this switch, ie, in what cases would you use it or not use it?
> > Just saying what it does isn't really adequate docs.
>
> I once considered implementing this myself but found it infeasible for
> some reason I don't remember.  Nevertheless I always thought that
> having an atomic restore ought to be a non-optional feature.  Are there
> situations where one would not want to use it?  (And if so, which one
> is the more normal case?)

You're thinking is good. I guess if restores never failed, I'd be
inclined to agree 100%, but I'm at about 80% right now.

I'd say: if the patch is accepted technically, lets debate this point
more widely on -hackers.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs