Re: Improving Availability - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Improving Availability
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 10:29, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 10:19, Guido Neitzer wrote:
> > On 14.12.2005, at 16:46 Uhr, Richard Huxton wrote:
> >
> > > I'd be tempted to look at pgpool sitting between your application
> > > and the database, and then replication from the one machine to the
> > > other.
> >
> > Right, I thought the same, BUT: I have two application servers (one
> > on each machine) connecting to a network URL via JDBC. When pgpool is
> > involved, I assume it only runs on one server, right?
> >
> > Or can I have pgpool running on both servers, each knowing about the
> > two servers and the applications just connect to "localhost"?
>
> If you are using as a read load balancer, with slony doing the
> replication, it can really only be in one place.  But, if you were
> running it in replication mode, without slony in the background, I'd
> think that setup could work.

This setup I'm talking about would have pgpool on each db server.

If you meant pgpool running on both application servers, that would work
fine with slony in the background and pgpool in load balancing mode, or
with pgpool doing the replication.