Re: plPHP -- sort of an announcement.. but not commercial - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: plPHP -- sort of an announcement.. but not commercial
Date
List pgsql-general
> From what I read:
> Products derived from this software may not be called "PHP", nor
>       may "PHP" appear in their name, without prior written permission
>       from group@php.net.  You may indicate that your software works in
>       conjunction with PHP by saying "Foo for PHP" instead of calling
>       it "PHP Foo" or "phpfoo"
> No. We don't need to do that. We couldn't call it PHP Procedural
> Language but Procedural Language for PHP (plPHP) is ok.

However, your code is not "derived from" PHP, is it?  It's a glue layer
that allows PHP to be attached to Postgres (or vice versa if you prefer).
It's not clear to me that you're bound by any of their copyright
conditions, since you aren't planning to ship any of their code in your
tarball.

It'd probably be polite to contact them and let them know that you want
to call it plphp because "plfoo" is the standard name for a Postgres PL
based on language "foo".  It's hard to believe that they'd object.

            regards, tom lane