Re: Performance PG 8.0 on dual opteron / 4GB / 3ware - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joost Kraaijeveld
Subject Re: Performance PG 8.0 on dual opteron / 4GB / 3ware
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Tom,

> I'm confused --- where's the 82sec figure coming from, exactly?
From actually executing the query.

From PgAdmin:

-- Executing query:
select objectid from prototype.orders

Total query runtime: 78918 ms.
Data retrieval runtime: 188822 ms.
1104379 rows retrieved.

> We've heard reports of performance issues in PgAdmin with large
> result sets ... if you do the same query in psql, what happens?
jkr@Panoramix:~/postgresql$ time psql muntdev -c "select objectid from
prototype.orders" > output.txt

real    0m5.554s
user    0m1.121s
sys     0m0.470s

Now *I* am confused. What does PgAdmin do more than giving the query to
the database?

(BTW: I have repeated both measurements and the numbers above were all
from the last measurement I did and are about average)

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.