Re: 8.1beta3 performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: 8.1beta3 performance
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2005-31-10 at 17:16 -0600, PostgreSQL wrote:
> We're running 8.1beta3 on one server and are having ridiculous performance
> issues.  This is a 2 cpu Opteron box and both processors are staying at 98
> or 99% utilization processing not-that-complex queries.  Prior to the
> upgrade, our I/O wait time was about 60% and cpu utilization rarely got very
> high, now I/O wait time is at or near zero.

Have you done anything to verify that this is actually a problem with
8.1, and not some other change that was made as part of the upgrade
process? For example, if ANALYZE hasn't been re-run, that could cause
the plans chosen by the optimizer to be completely different.

-Neil