Re: why vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mario Splivalo
Subject Re: why vacuum
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 11:51 -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> Well, AFAIK Oracle itself offers no replication, either.  If you want
> it, you have to buy a license for it.  Which means it's an add-on.
> Heck, most Linux distributions' kernels don't offer support for
> network cards: they're an add-on.  We call them modules.  (In case
> it's not clear, I don't buy the "itself/add-on" distinction.  The
> point is that the whole system works together.  PostgreSQL most
> definitely offers replication.  In fact, you can get warm-standby with
> WAL shipping, or read-only capabilities with Slony or some other
> tools.)

I wish I was Dumbo now. I could hide myself with me ears :)

> > I'll be glad to, I'm just not that familiar (in fact, i'm not familiar
> > at all) with the 'proof-of-cocept' or 'General Bits' terms, so if you
> > could http-redirect me, I'll be  most thankfull.
>
> Proof of concept is just a description of what you did, how it
> worked, design and limitations, &c.  Post it to the lists (uh,
> -general or maybe -hackers, I suppose), or put it on a web page or
> whatever.  General Bits is a fairly regular column that Elein Mustain
> puts out.  I bet she'd include a submission on this topic, although
> you'd have to ask her.  You can find GB at
> <http://varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/>.

I'll go trough my code, it's been a while since I touched it, I'll write
some documentation and I'll inform the comunity. Thnx for the pointouts.
Mike
--
Mario Splivalo
Mob-Art

"I can do it quick, I can do it cheap, I can do it well. Pick any two."