Re: Help tuning postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Csaba Nagy
Subject Re: Help tuning postgres
Date
Re: Help tuning postgres  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
List pgsql-performance
Thanks Andrew, this explanation about the dead rows was enlightening.
Might be the reason for the slowdown I see on occasions, but not for the
case which I was first observing. In that case the updated rows are
different for each update. It is possible that each row has a few dead
versions, but not too many, each row is updated just a limited number of
times.

However, we have other updates which access the same row 1000s of times
(up to millions of times), and that could hurt if it's like you said,
i.e. if each update has to crawl over all the dead rows... I have now
autovacuum in place, and I'm sure it will kick in at ~ a few 10000s of
updates, but in the meantime it could get bad.
In any case, I suppose that those disk pages should be in OS cache
pretty soon and stay there, so I still don't understand why the disk
usage is 100% in this case (with very low CPU activity, the CPUs are
mostly waiting/idle)... the amount of actively used data is not that
big.

I'll try to vacuum through cron jobs the most exposed tables to this
multiple-dead-row-versions symptom, cause autovacuum probably won't do
it often enough. Let's see if it helps...

Thanks,
Csaba.