Re: BUG #1956: Plpgsql top-level DECLARE does not share - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Re: BUG #1956: Plpgsql top-level DECLARE does not share
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 10/12/2005 10:32:20 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
   We tend to follow the C conventions, so perhaps we
> should
> throw a warning, but I can't think of any cases where we throw a
> warning
> in plpgsql because we compile it once on first call.
>
> I am thinking this falls in the "don't do that" category.

Fair enough.  At the same time it sure would be nice if
plpgsql actually compiled (and parsed SQL) at
function definition time, even when the result is thrown away.
I'm building a big system and it's quite annoying
to get syntax errors, IIRC,
in code months after writing it, just because it took
me that long to get around to exercising a particular
IF statement.

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein