Re: Run external command as part of an sql statement ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Run external command as part of an sql statement ?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 2:35 PM, David Gauthier <davegauthierpg@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I want to be able to run a shell command like this from within a stored
>> procedure.  Is there a way to do this ?

> In core, you can probably use the untrusted​ version of Perl, Python, or
> Tcl to accomplish your goal.  SQL and pl/pgSQL do not provide that
> capability.​

Depending on what you want to do, COPY TO/FROM PROGRAM might be a
serviceable option.  But, just like the untrusted-PL variants, you
need to be superuser.  Keep in mind that the program will run as
the database server owner (which is the reason for the superuser
restriction).

            regards, tom lane