Re: What *_mem to increase when running CLUSTER

From: Steve Poe
Subject: Re: What *_mem to increase when running CLUSTER
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Need for speed 2  (Ulrich Wisser, )
    Re: Need for speed 2  (Frank Wiles, )
    Re: Need for speed 2  (Ron, )
     Re: Need for speed 2  (Kelly Burkhart, )
      Re: Need for speed 2  (Alex Turner, )
    Re: Need for speed 2  ("Merlin Moncure", )
     What *_mem to increase when running CLUSTER  (Andrew Lazarus, )
      Re: What *_mem to increase when running CLUSTER  (Steve Poe, )
      Re: What *_mem to increase when running CLUSTER  (Tom Lane, )

Andrew,

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 12:24 -0700, Andrew Lazarus wrote:
> Should I temporarily increase sort_mem, vacuum_mem, neither, or both
> when doing a CLUSTER on a large (100 million row) table where as many as
> half of the tuples are deadwood from UPDATEs or DELETEs? I have large
> batch (10 million row) inserts, updates, and deletes so I'm not sure
> frequent vacuuming would help.

You may need to experiment with both. What version of Postgres? What is
the size of your database? How many concurrent users? If you're seeing
half of the tuples are dead, I look at checking your max_fsm_pages and
max_fsm_relations after a full vacuum analyze before doing too much with
sort mem.

Your mileage may vary.

Best of luck.

Steve Poe